Monday, January 16, 2012

I Do!... or Do I?

So it has been 10 months now officially since Ray and I got married. I've enjoyed every minute of it. Ok, so not everything has been easy, in fact, there have been several arguments and obstacles but our vows I Do stand strong today and forever. Marriage nowadays has absolutely broken my heart. Not marriage itself, but rather the concept people have about marriage. It has lost its specialness, sense of committment, and zeal. I found myself in several recent conversations talking about the option of marriage. Many people tell me that now its not really that practical. It's much easier to live together and when things break up, they break up. I actually had a student the other day tell me about his best friend having a small affair on his wife with a young girl in her 20's. My student talked about it seeming to not be affected let alone prone to give his friend advice to cut it out and/or to tell his wife. In his eyes, marriage is too boring. Being with the same person for 20 years and the same routine gets old. But why does it have to be boring? Isn't there another way out? Or all we all destined to divorce or a loveless marriage for years to come? When God created marriage I believe he knew what he was doing. It wasn't as if he created it to simply fail when things got difficult. God is much more intelligent and loving that than. But, it does however take hard work that unfortunately not all are willing to put in. It says in Matthew 19:5 that marriage was God's idea: [and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.’] That means, two lives coerge into one. How is that possible? I have my own ideas, my own way to live life, my own abitions. But what it takes I believe is sacrificial love for the other. Philippians 2:3-5 [Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus.] It takes sacrificing our wants and putting them on hold in order to serve the other person, show them they are valued, and show them they are loved. A person who consciously knows they are loved, valued, and respected is apt to respond positively in the marriage. I read a great book that I recommend called The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. We all [according to him] receive love from others in different ways and our spouses most likely receive love differently than us. It's important to learn how we feel love and to apply that within our marriage. This is a must read!

I recognize that today moreso than ever, there is a need for believers to rise up, take faith, and fight for our marriages. Marriages don't just stay neutral during the journey of life. We go in directions, either closer to God or closer to the devil. Satan just wants to tear down what God established. He will use whatever means of unfaithfulness, selfishness, pride, miscommunication, and even routine to destroy this beautiful establishment. Marriage [even with my little experience] can be something so wonderful where we daily lay down our own wants to love and respect the other person [similiar to our relationship with Christ.] It's important to get out of routine--do something different. Show the other person especially today that you love them in a physical practical way.

May God give us grace through our errors, faith and strength during temptations, and love that abounds only from him that we pour all over our spouses.

No comments:

Post a Comment